People across Australia enjoy the benefits of different types of NDIS funded disability accommodation every day. However, it can become confusing when you step into the world of disability accommodation with so many different kinds. From group homes to aged care to and of course SIL and SDA. To begin with, lets look at Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)


Supported Independent Living(SIL)

Supported Indpendent Living (or SIL) relates to assistance with or without the supervision of everyday tasks intended to improve an individual’s skills and aid them in living as independently as possible. 

Whenever a person with a disability cannot live separately or with your family, SIL affords an opening to gain the assistance you need in a shared home. Advance Support Services (SIL) presents shared homes and will seek to arrange clients with similar ages and sharing related interests. This option gives an opening to obtain the support you require, experience independence and gain new friends.

In general, people who live in SIL get everyday assistance with responsibilities including washing, cooking, social and medicinal requirements, finances, supermarket shopping, visiting appointments, and help with individual care.


Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) relates to accommodation for people who need specialist home solutions catering to special assistance requirements or severe functional impairment. SDA refers to the home, flat or unit a person would reside in. The SDA is not funds towards assistance services, but to the actual house where the assistance is delivered.

Residents can choose to live independently in their residence or with other people, depending on their individual needs. 


So what’s the difference?

To put it plainly, SIL refers to the onsite assistance and everyday living help that assist improve the skills and experiences of the members.

On the other hand, SDA may be specially created accommodations for members with high needs or altered existing residence, located in an area that makes it possible to obtain involved or expensive assistance supporting the member living autonomously.